Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Felling of a Tree

We had a tree cut down in the backyard. It wasn't the most healthy tree. Beforehand, our backyard was virtually completely in shade. I have had the hardest time growing flowers back there! Basically I felt constricted to hostas (fine for some--but I tire of them easily) and some other hardy shade perennials, plus some non-thriving impatiens.

The backyard had basically a canopy formed by the trees, which confined the feeling of space. Plus, it is an uphill backyard as well, so that made it feel even smaller.

Sometimes there are thick, unruly, overgrown things in our lives, that need to be pruned and cut away. Which brings freedom and "air" to us. To me, this could be an apology that I need to make, or expressing my honest feelings about something, instead of brooding and keeping to myself. That connection, whatever it may be, loosens the walls between us and frees us to move forward. It usually takes some effort, but it is definitely worthwhile in the end.

Now, with the tree gone, there is substantially more sun back there! I feel like I have a new backyard!! It is awesome.



Open space, afterward.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you call that a back yard?! It's like a park! A 'yard' here is like a little concrete patch, where you might store a bike or hang a tiny washing line. Anyway, your 'yard' looks great now - losing the tree has made so much difference. Happy planting!

thismngardener said...

Haha-Yes, from photos of your yard, there does seem to be a big difference between there and here.
Ours is a 90 foot lot (27.4 meters, in length front to back), which is large on average, certainly for a city. But also for a suburb too.

Anonymous said...

No, no, no! Ours is a GARDEN, not a yard. A yard is just a concrete square outside, about one yard (= 3 feet) square, normally found with terraced houses in the north of England. We don't have a yard either. See http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Wildcard%20Images/p_2651212.jpg for an idea.

thismngardener said...

Goodness, no intention to ruffle your feathers! I was, to my embarrassment, using "yard" as a generic term for that outside area in the back of one's house. We are not very distinct with our language here. GARDEN it is! lol. And now I know what a yard is :D