Saturday, March 14, 2009

Piano-Moving Forward!

I am excited about piano. I was taking a break from lessons, due to time pressures, and some health issues that my piano teacher is experiencing. Now I am going to start taking lessons again, with my piano teacher-who is dear to me.

I have had the greatest lesson setup: I would take lessons at our local church (my teacher, MP, works there as an ass't organist and also at the church assisting the music and pastoral staff). What we would do, was schedule lessons every week or so, in the morning, after I got the kids to school. She would come in a little early that day, then slip down to a practice room, give me a lesson, then head back to her office, back to work, etc.

Well, last spring, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. It is metastatic cancer, meaning that the by the time the cancer was diagnosed, it had spread to her spinal system. She has been treating it through radiation and various drug therapies.

She continues to work and accompany the high school choir as she had done before, fitting in the treatments, doctor appts, etc. However, she had to cut down on some of her teaching commitments, due to lagging energy. Radiation can be quite tiring. Coming in early for our lesson became too tiring for her. So we suspended lessons for a while.

At any rate-about a week ago, she gave a wonderful, inspiring, beautiful piano recital. She selected pieces that allowed her to share about her personal life, her spiritual journey. Very special. This photo shows her and her husband after the recital.

We talked last week, and she is ready to take me on again as a student. Since I work for myself, I can be flexible about the time. I am pretty much at her disposal, and will come whenever she will have me.

I am so glad that I will have the benefit of her deft ear, guidance, motivation, technical skills, and just all around nice lesson experience. I am so blessed in this way.

And I greatly admire her courage, each and every day.

0 comments: