Saturday, April 12, 2008

Always a New Surprise

Yesterday was kind of a weird day. It was a school day, and typically on Fridays I take the 2 older girls to Caribou. It's something we look forward to, and it's a nice way to end the week.
A-the oldest, talked me into letting her sleep in and miss an elective class, Singers, so not a big deal.
S-invited a friend to come to Caribou -- that was fine.
So I wake up at 6am, and my morning ritual (really my favorite part of the day) is I get up, hang out on the sofa and read. I am reading The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. This is MY time and I cherish it.
So I hear the TV. Daughter #2 was in the shower, daughter #1 and #3 were presumably sleeping, so I thought -- what's up?
I go downstairs to find the Little Kid, watching TV on the sectional. I'm like-"how long have you been up?" She says, "since about 12:30am".
WHAT??
My first thought was oh the 7 year old didn't recollect or register the time correctly. NO WAY had she been up THAT long. I inquire, "Why didn't you come get me? I could have helped you get to sleep. Are you OK to go to school? You're not too tired, right?"
"Oh sure-I'm fine Mom."
Hm.
I suggest that she goes to the big bed and watch TV. That way if she is sleepy she can fall asleep.
So off I go to Caribou. Meantime A gets up early (even though the plan was for her to sleep in), and is watching TV in the big bed too. Back from Caribou, of course the Little Kid was by then sound asleep.
Drive A to school. Little Kid still sound asleep. Canceled my client meeting that morning. I was thinking, well let her sleep for a couple hours, then take her to school. She loves school, and I thought she would be mad at me for letting her sleep. They had a spelling test too, otherwise just a regular day.
10am-she was SO groggy. Hm. She finally got up and went downstairs, watching TV, waking up. No use asking how she felt-she obviously needed a little time. I'm like-"OK so if we leave in about 20 minutes that's a good time for you to join your classroom."
"Oh Mom". Big alligator tears. After probing, she said she felt crummy. Alright, checked for fever-no, that was OK. She really looked like she didn't feel good- so then I let the teacher know that she was staying home. I was a bit concerned, thinking oh no, she is sick, wonder how I can help her, maybe a little water, rest, soup. Hope our weekend doesn't turn into "sick city."
1/2 hour later I go check on her, and she is sitting writing family names in cursive. Then 10 minutes later she goes bouncing down the hall to grab some paper for another little "project."
Me: "G! You are OK, aren't you?" I said it with a slight smile. "MOM I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL TODAY!"
Ah-she tricked me!!!
Hookey day -- she was thrilled.
Well, after all, everyone needs one once in a while.
But if her teacher reads this post, hm-maybe we're both in trouble...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I didn't know how the story would pan out!

As a side generational note - its interesting that you and your girls do coffee on Fridays. For my brother and I - it was "The A Team", followed by "Dallas", and McDonalds.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Just stopped by to see what was happening in Mn. :) Hats off to Super G. Everyone needs to play hookey now and then... especially you! -k