Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Turn-Around

My 14 year old is periodically embarrassed by her mom. OK this probably is not uncommon. I'm sure all moms of teenagers do stuff that embarrasses them. Oh let me re-phrase. They are told by their teens with no filtered down-played business-like or euphemistic terms "MOM STOP IT. You are embarrassing me." The parent does something that dynamically and inexplicably "embarrasses" the kid. You cheer for them at a game. ("Mom don't cheer for me at the lacrosse game you don't know the rules"). Oh I can't think of any more examples-plus she will undoubtedly read this post and give me a hard time-ah well...

Or that's just what they tell you--that they are embarrassed and oh yes it's also your fault. It is what it is and you have to figure out what to say and/or how to respond.

I like to go to church. I'm a Lutheran. While some people go to church to listen to the sermon and gain spiritual growth and renewal through that, I go for the music. I love the music. Our church is quite large (OK think 15,000 members) which doesn't matter to me in the least but bottom line, means there are resources available. For me as a music lover, I am often "in heaven" listening to the music. A couple weeks ago we had a harpist and flautist play. My husband (bless his heart) saw my enjoyment of the pieces the 2 musicians played (one composed by the harpist) which I had made a side comment about. He picked up on it and bought 2 CD's. To my great interest and amazement I learned that goodness gracious they both had seats in the Minnesota Orchestra. Wow.

So back to the embarrassment theme. When a singer like Robert Robinson comes to sing, if I don't have a hanky or 2, I am in deep trouble. He is in my opinion an extremely gifted gospel singer. He rocks the sanctuary. OK these are Lutherans so maybe filter that down a little. Lutherans can be a bit "stiff." Perhaps instead I should say he rocks my soul. A my teenager is sitting next to me, going *sigh* oh no my mom is moved by this song how embarrassing she is crying with joy at how beautiful it is. MY mom used to do this and I was like "huh?" why are you crying? Beautiful music maybe should make you happy. I don't know-as a kid I just simply didn't get it. Ah yes-and neither does my teenager...

I am like my mom I guess. Thanks Mom for seeding that expression of emotion and positive absorption of beautiful music.

I have a new joy and passion. Thanks to my interest/time but also mostly to the guidance of my piano teacher, it's playing piano. In the last few weeks I have through her guidance and support started a new piece which is very difficult. Grieg's Wedding at Troldhaugen. I am now PLAYING a song that is beautiful enough to create these strong emotions. OK let me say that again because for me it has great meaning. Instead of listening to great music Vivaldi 4 Seasons or a great piece sung a cappella etc. etc. I am actually playing something that warms my heart in the same way.

Please-dear reader I do not wish this to be interpreted as bragging, it is truly expressing joy.

But I can't wait for Robert Robinson to come back and share his music again. Or ANY F. Melius Christiansen arrangement, a cappella or no. I am ready with multiple hankies in hand!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh mom your so embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh i love robert robentseionnin.

thismngardener said...

To A-if you're referring to the tulip post -- goodness by now don't you know it's part of my job?

Anonymous said...

You should come to the Opera with me! You would LOVE it!