Wednesday, February 27, 2008

8:00 pm Heaven Part 1


8pm is my very very favorite time of the day. I cannot wait until 8pm. I look forward to 8pm with great anticipation. I have been known to get a bit short and rushed with kids asking questions about homework or generally needing help close to this time. (or worse yet, beyond this time)

No, it's not because I want to watch House or Grey's Anatomy or whatever on TV.

No, I'm not looking forward to it because I am leaving the house to go somewhere.

It is my special time. To, well... -- to practice piano. Yup, that's right.

I started piano in 2nd grade and played through high school. I remember really wanting to start playing. When I was 7, everyone in my family, dad, mom, brother, played piano except me. And once I started lessons, I liked it OK, as a kid does. You know-being compliant as Mom said: "J-time to play piano!" "Ohh, alright." Or pushing back, getting chided some more, then *sigh* OK sitting down to play. I did pretty much enjoy it once I got going.

Quit lessons during college, sat down at the piano almost never, until a couple years ago, I tried some lessons. But I'm just too busy and can't justify weekly lessons taking the time to practice, drive back and forth, what with work, kids, and generally just our full family life. And without lessons, even if you are motivated to play, progress just isn't made very easily. I started a Chopin Nocturne, was pretty, but really, how do I know if I'm playing it that well? I need help with technique, fingering, dynamics, style, tempo, etc. etc.

So last summer I'm thinking, hm-maybe I could try lessons, and at our church music school you can be really flexible in the summer. There was a teacher there who somehow I knew I wanted to study with. I recall a newsletter that came home from the MOSOM for daughter S's clarinet lessons, and they had some quotes from different teachers in there. This particular teacher was talking about *yawn* theory. I read what she said and it was interesting, insightful even. I just thought to myself: If I ever take up piano again this is the teacher that I'd like to guide me.

To be continued...

0 comments: