Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jewels


In the past year or so, I have been more in touch with the friends of my childhood, high school and college. There's a time in my life, it seems, where I wish to look back and reach out to those from my past. See what they are up to, how they have fared in life. Mostly just catch up and talk, and ideally (but not always possible) spend time together.

There are several college friends who live in town, as our college is roughly 40 miles from where we live. We meet for lunch once a month. I find with "old friends", that it is so easy to pick up where we left off!! We have the past in common--our experiences, how we used to talk of our hopes and dreams. How we knew each others' parents and background.

We hang out, eat, and share. We talk about books that we like, and then we share them! We talk about one of our kids graduating from high school, or going to college, or transitioning to adult life, what it's like to raise a teenager in these times. We've all had successes and personal tragedies.

To understand and be understood is one of the most cherished things in life. And so, I cherish these times with friends.

To me, fair friend, you never can be old
For as you were when first your eye I eyed,
Such seems your beauty still.
* William Shakespeare


And new friends too...

0 comments: