Saturday, November 10, 2007

Heart to Heart

Tragedies happen every day. Real tragedies.

And I don't mean...
- My shirts are wrinkled!
- Oh no - I ran over the kids' bicycle with the car!
- The dishwasher broke -- now I have to wash all the dishes by hand!

My friend PK, is a part of our virtual ad agency. We do not work in an office at one location, sitting at desks, hanging out during lunch in the lunchroom. It is virtual -- we all work sitting remotely in our home offices. As such, it doesn't really matter where we are. Most of us sit in Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Some are in other states. PK is in Moscow. He is the greatest, swiftest, most deft web programmer for our team. Just ask the boss owner!

Well, he let us know on Friday that there had been a fire in his apartment building, engulfing 4 floors in his building (8th through 11th). He lives on the 6th floor. The fire was on the other side of the building from where he lives, so thankfully the water damage didn't affect him. Even so, he had no power for a day. But, goodness sakes, there was a FIRE!! A fire. Tragically, 3 people perished.

Not good. Not good at all. Made me stop. Advertising suddenly wasn't important. Not at all.

I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. We are all SO FAR away.

PK-I don't know what to say. I wish I could give you a BIG HUG. I hope that things will get better soon.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your kind words, Jane.

Sadly, we learned of 4th victim yesterday - man had heart attack when fire started, he passed away in hospital.

Human life is so fragile...

On the brighter side, almost everything is cleaned up, lobby walls are being painted. The building looks pretty normal from outside now, too, except burned out apartments which still have plywood windows.

Life goes on!