Thursday, November 8, 2007

My Leaves or Yours?


Today I returned from an appointment to a surprising sight. The next-door-neighbor was swiftly and surely blowing leaves from his backyard into mine. This angered me.

But wait! The leaves that he is blowing are from MY maple tree. His backyard trees have not a lick of leaves left on them.

So is this Proper Neighborly Behavior? Are they HIS leaves or MINE?

Would I do it if I were in his place? Nooo. No way. I would probably not be very happy, likely cursing under my breath, raking them. But I would rake them up and bag them myself.

When I saw what he was doing, I walked out onto the patio and let my presence be known. Today hasn't been a very good day -- so I kept my mouth shut in case I blurted something horrendously obnoxious I would regret later. He casually went along the side of his house and back out to the front yard, where he DOES have leaves from his own tree, and looked to be dutifully blowing them so they could be bagged.

I'm back downstairs in my home office now -- bet later that I have some more leaves in the back -- and he has less.

Grr.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, not sure what I would do...but this is partly why I still rent. I hate doing yard work...and I'm not sure that I could cultivate a good report with a neighbor who did that.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Leaf wars... I forgot about that! (We don't rake leaves in Utah 'cause we don't have very many trees.)

We had a huge tree in our Minnesota yard. It was a smart tree, too. It dumped all of it's leaves into the neighbor's yard. Come to think of it... that dude always gave me the silent treatment. Now I know why! :)

thismngardener said...

R-we don't really have a good relationship with this neighbor. Don't really know why (I'm nice enough I think!). One day my husband found him standing in our backyard looking up the hill. Weird. Somehow I feel like we're being watched over and judged or something.
K-you betcha!

KJ said...

That's SO rude! Unbeleiveable. Creepy.
I've been lurking around your blog a little and thought I'd say hi finally! Since this one made me exclaim out loud about the rudeness of your neighbor, all the way from California.