Thursday, May 31, 2007

Reading-Junie B. Jones

Yesterday I went in to read in the 1st grade classroom: Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren. What fun! In a way, it's kind of challenging to read, as the writing has "kiddish" grammar, which sounds a bit awkward when you read it.

There are phrases like this:

"I tapped on my chin very thinking."
"She wins me at all of our races."
"I quick hided behind my hands."

So I was reading along, and once in a while I had to pause, but only to stop myself from laughing!! Every time I said the word "nutball" (Junie was called a nutball by handsome Warren), a couple of the kids giggled.
(click on the photos to see a larger view)

The 1st graders seemed to enjoy the book, and I know I enjoyed the break in the day! I returned to my home office with a smile on my face.

Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren, by Barbara Park. Illustrated by Denise Brunkus. Copywright 1996.

0 comments: