Thursday, May 1, 2008

Expand Away!

Super G. got an expander a couple weeks ago. This is an orthodontic device that I wasn't familiar with until S. had it done a couple years ago. It comes before braces and is used to expand the upper bite when teeth are crowded. Sometimes teeth are pulled but this is another alternative.

It looks like this-but hers on the sides is kind of like a retainer too so there's plastic covering those back molars. They give you this tool and you literally crank it open every two days. It doesn't really hurt. Eating can be a little tricky but she seems to be doing fine. You can't tell from her speech either. The 2 side pieces come in different colors. Hers are glow-in-the-dark!! (but not bright enough to read by).

Here's the before pics:


I wrote a limerick while she was getting it.

My Expander
I got an expander today,
I had to wait day after day,
It's neon green and red,
It feels kinda weird in my head,
But I can't wait to have a great smile.

0 comments: