Sunday, May 18, 2008

It Was Mostly About a Mouse


Yesterday was a bit crazy.

It started out early. S had a choir lockout at church where they do some fun activities ALL NIGHT LONG, get NO sleep, and I had to pick her up at 7am. While I was a safe driver, in my head I kept that sleepy quality (know what I mean?), so when we returned home, we both went to bed (or back to bed in my case). Ah that was nice.

So then we transitioned into our usual relaxed weekend morning -- where Mom makes muffins. Yesterday it was chocolate chip and banana nut (Super G made the banana nut ones). Then S & I were to have softball team photos and then right afterwards practice. Papa was out at a meeting til 1 or so.

I was goofing around outside with the flowers. I had started some Morning Glory Seeds and they had sprouted under a wet paper towel for a week and so really needed to be put in dirt.

I hear some arguing yelling shouting from inside the house. Geez, can't I just go outside for a moment? I thought to myself.

Finally I went inside, to learn to my dismay that S & Super G had seen a mouse. The garage door was open so probably it dashed in when I was coming in or out (only takes a quick sec and the little critter was apparently determined to seek a warm inviting inside haven).

Dang it all. I went in search of a mousetrap, laid on a dollop of peanut butter, set it. S. & I really had to go. The mouse wouldn't be able to get upstairs because of our marble stairs, but still those 2 remaining kids were kind of freaked out. I ran downstairs just to check the trap one more time before we took off.

WHAM! I missed a step, rolled right on my left ankle. Really hard. Ouch. So after a few tears, ice pack in place and crutches in hand, off we went to the softball photos/practice. It was already starting to swell. And it hurt. A lot.

By the time we got to the field for the team photos, it was REALLY swollen. About as big as a small plum on the outside of my ankle bone. So after the photos, while the other coaches & parents went off to practice, I drove myself to the ER.

One of the nurses was like--"Oh, that looks broken." Thanks.

Actually it is not broken, just a sprain. I have an air cast, just to keep it from having any lateral movement.

When's the last time you used crutches? Yeah me neither. My whole body is sore from those things, yikes. I am sore in places where I didn't even know I had muscles!

And that silly mouse is still traipsing around the basement amongst multiple loaded traps. Two of the girls refuse to venture downstairs for fear of the little critter -- which we have named Scooter.

1 comments:

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Ouch! So sorry to hear this! Although Scooter is a cute little bugger. Maybe you should keep him? :) -k